Friday, August 27, 2010

The Driver of the Eternally Late B71 Bus Might Be Thinking This:

Instead of driving this bus around responsibly, so that it might reach its many destinations in a timely manner, I will drive extremely slowly, even stopping randomly in the middle of a block so that I might enter into a conversation with another bus driver, also very late to his many destinations. By the time I reach it, the bus will have already missed the stop four times and will then appear to be early for the fifth run, thus deluding patrons of the MTA that the bus does come on time occasionally, making them run to get there on time so they do not miss their bus, only to leave them waiting for upwards of an hour. I vow to do this so many times that the entire bus system will be in shambles by the end of my career. Why? Why do I do this? I revel in chaos. I abhor a routine. I live for the moment. It isn't because I am lazy; far from it, I work hard at what I do. Rather, I want to make people's lives exciting. I want people to be shaken from their everyday routines, from the little lives they lead, and to think that everything they know and rely on can change. That we might live in a concrete world, but underneath is a seething mass of molten rock ready to explode, showering us with its beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment